Dell has unveiled a laptop designed specifically for mobile entrepreneurs. The 13.3-inch Vostro V13 – which is priced at $450 – weighs 3.5 pounds and is only 0.65 inches thin.
The V13 also supports 802.11g/n wireless LAN, Bluetooth and WWAN mobile broadband.
The laptop has already received a mixed (initial) review from Paul Miller of Endgadget, who praised the anodized aluminum exterior but criticized the “clacky” keyboard and 6 volt battery.
“The anodized aluminum exterior is smooth to the touch and gives the frame of the entire laptop a great amount of stiffness; none of that bendy nonsense that can be found in some of the $500ish thin-and-light competition. We were also pleasantly surprised to find a antigloss (not quite matte) display under the hood,” wrote Miller.
“Unfortunately, the compromises begin with the keyboard, which is a bit bendy and “clacky” (the bad version of “clicky”), and the 6 volt battery gets 4.75 hours as quoted, so probably around three in real life.”
In addition, Miller complained that the Windows 7 version of the V13 laptop was priced above $600.
“You can’t get a Windows 7 version for under $600 – even though the Ubuntu default is mighty tempting. So, there are compromises, just like in life, but for the most part this is one of the least timid computers we’ve seen from Dell in a while: not afraid to step on the toes of its brandmates and make a name for itself,” added Miller.
?Additional specs include:
- Processor options – Inte Core 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz, 3MB L2 cache), Core 2 Solo SU3500 (1.4GHz, 3MB L2 cache), Celeron 743 (1.2GHz, 1MB L2 cache).
- OS – Windows 7, Ubuntu, Vista.
- Memory – DDR3 SDRAM (1066 MHz) one slot supporting 4GB3 DIMM.
- Chipset – Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset ICH9M-Enhanced.
- Graphics – Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD.
- Display – 13.3-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD (1366 x 768) anti-glare.
- Primary Storage – 7200 rpm SATA up to 500GB, 7200 rpm SATA with full disk encryption 250GB.
- Optical Drives – Optional External 8X DVD+/-RW or Blu-ray Disc.
- Ports, Slots & Chassis – Network connector (RJ45), USB 2.0, USB 2.0/eSATA combo, microphone jack, headphone/speaker out, 5-in-1 card reader, 34 mm ExpressCard.