These days, everybody has an account with one or the other social media website. We spend many hours on social media every day, and we often tend to overdo it. Sometimes, we get so busy with social media activities that we end up ruining our sleep. Such kind of addiction can have adverse effects on our health.
How can social media affect our sleep?
Many studies have proven that a majority of adult and teenagers are suffering from sleeplessness only due to their addiction to social media websites. Teenagers and college students mostly check their social media accounts right before going to bed, which can affect their sleep.
It is suggested that you do not use devices such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc, right before going to bed. Instead, you can listen to soft music, read a book, etc. All these things will ensure that you sleep well.
Reasons why you should avoid the use of technology before going to bed:
- The bright blue light emitted from the smartphones and laptops can interfere with circadian rhythms. It may even interfere with the natural release of the Melatonin, which is an essential precursor for the sleep.
- The continuous access to social media accounts can result in emotional, mental or physiological arousal that can disturb your ability to relax. Use of mobile devices and playing exciting games right before bedtime can set our mind racing, instead of relaxing.
Some essential tips that will help you get a better sleep at night
One of the most important things that you need to do is get yourself a good mattress. An ideal mattress should allow you to enjoy a comfortable sleep along and reduce the pressure points.
You can find the best reviewed beds online, which will help you make the right choices on your purchase. Do not just go by the reviews. It is recommended that you research a little on your own and find a mattress that meets your needs and budget. Consult your physician or physiotherapist if you have any medication and are supposed to use specific type of mattress.
A few of the other important things that can ensure you a good night sleep are as follows.
- Don’t check out your social media accounts whenever you wake up in middle of night to use restroom or to drink water, or to check on your little one.
- Instead of using social media whenever you get free time, you can indulge in other relaxing activities like reading, meditation, deep breathing, or simple stretches.
- Make sure that you do not access your social media account, at least an hour before going to sleep. This may seem to be difficult at first, but practicing it daily can help you.
- Keep your cell phone on charge outside your bedroom. Also, keep it in silent mode, so that you do not get disturbed by notification sounds.
By reducing the time that you spend on social media, you can definitely experience good quality sleep every night. Fixing a sleep schedule and sticking to it can be really helpful in the long run.