Many students imagine that their life in college will be filled with good times with friends, but this is not always the case. For one reason or another, some people realize that the campus can actually be quite a lonely place where friends are difficult to come by. If you find yourself saying “I have no friends in college” and feeling quite lonely, know that you don’t have to feel as if you won’t survive; there are ways to make college worth your while even if you’re on your own. By remembering these student tips, you will be able to learn how to survive in college with no friends.
How to Survive in College as a Loner?
- Accept Yourself. The first advice for students who feel lonely in college is also the most important one: just accept and embrace yourself for who you are. Know that there is nothing wrong with being shy or being a loner, and being alone doesn’t diminish your value and your ability as a person. Accepting who you are is the first step towards being comfortable with yourself, which in turn will be your gateway towards doing things that will enrich you as a person.
- Attend All Classes. If you have no friends in college, keeping up with your studies can be difficult. You likely have no groups to study with or peers to work with on projects. In other words, you need to rely on yourself when it comes to learning and receiving information. That said, attending all classes is crucial, since you wouldn’t want to miss anything, be it lessons, assignments, or announcements.
- Focus On Your Studies. Just as you need to attend your all your classes, you also need to focus on your studies in general. Studying seriously is a deeply engaging process, and you’ll be surprised with how much time and energy you will be spending on completing all your schoolwork that socialization will be the last thing on your mind. Enlisting the help of online services such as can also help you in completing your requirements. Your social life may not be robust, but your grades will thank you for spending all those hours alone on studying.
- Find a Hobby or Learn a New Skill. Learning how to live without friends can be hard, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t make it productive. Finding a hobby or learning a new skill will not just be a distraction, but it will also be a delightful way to pass the time even when you’re alone. Consider how you will be enriching yourself by reading books for hours, or mastering a new language, or learning how to cook complicated dishes. It does not matter which hobby or skill you choose; what matters is you are committed to improving yourself by finding something productive to do.
- Explore Your City. If you want to know how to have fun without friends, then look no further than your own city. There are so many offerings out there that don’t require you to have friends to enjoy. Visit a museum to see great art, attend concerts and recitals, go to the theater and watch performances, explore the streets for hidden joints. The city is yours to discover.
- Get Yourself a Pet. If your schedule can handle it, getting a pet is another good way to not feel lonely. A pet can be a great companion who will serve as a source of delight. Just imagine how nice it would be to have a dog you could snuggle with or a cat you could play with for hours on end. On top of this, having a pet can teach you so much about commitment, discipline, and responsibility.
Finding yourself alone in college can be tough, but there are ways to learn how not to feel lonely. You will find that there are a lot of things you can do to not just survive but even thrive. Apart from focusing on your studies, finding a hobby or learning a new skill, exploring your city, and getting a pet can be great ways to be productive, contented, and happy without the need for friends. No matter which you choose, remember that the most essential thing is to do it for with love for yourself. Learning how to survive in college with no friends begins with accepting who you are and being your own best friend.