With our ever so busy schedules and hectic lifestyles, there’s hardly anybody not prone to illnesses. Although we have seen an increase in the average life expectancy in India, the number of young people being affected by diseases has increased as well. In such unexpected times, it has become imperative to get yourself a health insurance policy.
Health insurance is a sort of security. So, why wait for your health to suffer and why not secure your health throughout your life through all the different stages? Our needs change as we grow old and hence, we should look at the right kind of at every stage of life.
- Pre-natal: At the prenatal stage, the mother needs health insurance for the safety of the baby. Pre-natal insurance will ensure the safety of both, the mother and the child. This health cover provides that the baby has the protection even before it is born. The insurance period is about ten months – until childbirth.
- From birth to 8 years: This is the age group where the child’s immune system starts developing, and the child is usually vulnerable to many illnesses. Hence, health insurance for small children protects them during this tender age. Health insurance for children cover diseases such as diarrhoea, diphtheria, and whooping cough.
- From 8 years to 25 years: This category mostly comprises of students. This age group is prone to and quick recovery becomes an absolute necessity. Many youngsters are likely to unhealthy lifestyle due to which they are falling prey to lifestyle illnesses like diabetes, asthma, and more and this entire phase needs to get protection under a student health insurance policy. The objective is to protect students from stress and lifestyle-related illnesses and not to let diseases come in the way of education. Since this is a phase of life that’s rich in activity, accidents are common and hence, the sum assured should be high so that the medical insurance also covers accidents.
- From 25 years to 45 years of age: This is the age group that incorporates the family life and the professional life of an individual. Work-related stress, responsibilities, major ailments, maternity, and accidents can affect individuals during this period and get an adequate that tackles all these problems is a must. This age is also a precautionary stage for the upcoming old age, and hence, medical insurance that covers periodic check-ups would be a wise choice.
- From 45 years to 65 years: One retires from professional life, and one’s immunity system grows weak during this stage of life. A health insurance policy at this stage helps with any health-related stress by protecting the insured against serious ailments.
- 65 years and onwards: Health insurance needs at this stage of life are the maximum. A mild illness not treated well at this age can turn into a . It makes it important for everyone to have his or her health-insured at this stage of life. The health insurance policy could be a continuation of pre-existing insurance, or you can tailor according to specific needs. You can avail health insurance policies with special schemes covering certain minor and major ailments at this stage of life.
In a family, there are people in different age group and therefore buying comprehensive health insurance makes more sense. It covers protection for you and your family members with one premium. If not, there are that can make this possible for you. Super top up plan let you add your individual family members for the health protection. This helps when you have already bought individual health insurance, and you do not want that to go in vain. Adding a top up works just like any health plan; however, the premium may be a little higher when compared to a comprehensive health plan for your family.
What is your choice? Is it a complete health plan or a plan with a super top up? When buying clothes, size matters. Similarly, age matters when purchasing insurance. Save money by choosing the best insurance plan.