A healthy brain means a healthy body, and what do we do on a daily basis is important for keeping our brain nourished so that it functions seamlessly. These days, people have become so busy that they don’t have time to look after themselves properly. In many cases what they are doing (or more importantly not doing) to keep their brain healthy is cause for concern.
Neglecting our mental and emotional health can adversely affect our physical health. Poor mental well-being can make people withdrawn, poorly behaved and also limits their way of thinking and approach towards life. Such individuals also suffer from behavioural disorders such as depression, anxiety, frustration, aggression etc. To avoid such issues it is important to take care of the brain and there is a range of simple ways you can do this.
10 tips to keep your brain healthy:
- Exercise Regularly- Research shows that exercise is beneficial for both mental and physical health. Regular exercise helps the body to absorb more oxygen, which is very good for the brain. It also triggers the development of new nerve cells and increases connection with brain cells which in turn makes the brain more adaptive and efficient. Having moderate exercise at least 30 minutes, three times a week will improve brain health as well as your general physical health.
- Regulate blood sugar levels - It is very important to regulate blood sugar levels in the body. High blood sugar levels can lead to diabetes, a serious health condition which can have a number of flow-on effects, including dementia. It is important to eat a healthy balanced diet and maintain a steady routine of regular meal times, spaced throughout the day in order to ensure consistent blood sugar levels. Services like can help you check your blood levels.
- Eat healthily- One of the best ways to keep your brain healthy is by providing it with the right diet. A healthy balanced diet should include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and complex carbohydrates. Additionally, foods like fatty fish rich in Omega-3, broccoli, blueberries and other foods rich in antioxidants are particularly good for brain function and to maintain a healthy brain.
- Meditate- There is nothing better than meditation and yoga to bring peace and serenity into your life. Stress has been shown to have detrimental effects on the brain over time. Physical exercise can be beneficial to combat this, but in today’s fast-paced life, it is important that we stop for a while and look after ourselves first. Take time to meditate and look inward to achieve a higher state of awareness and improve your overall well-being. Meditation helps your brain relax and unwind from the complexities of life, building resilience and improving your mental and emotional state.
- Quit smoking, drinking, and drugs- These mood-altering substances adversely affect both physical and mental health. They decrease motivation, make an individual impulsive and also lead to impairments of the cognitive process. Cigarettes, alcohol and other drugs have been conclusively linked to a range of serious health problems including heart disease, stroke, liver disease, and cancer. Furthermore, they play havoc with your emotional and mental health, as well as your general well-being.
- Be social- Depending on personality and environmental factors, people can be conservative and hide their emotions. Although this is perfectly healthy in moderation, being overly reclusive can be harmful to mental health. Sustained social isolation can lead to depression, frustration and anger management issues. Therefore making an effort to socialise is important, in order to be surrounded by a healthy and happy environment which is good for their brain.
- Vitamin B is a must- Did you know that the right amount of vitamin B is essential for a healthy brain? Eat food rich in Vitamin B so that your brain remains healthy. Consuming whole grain cereals, leafy vegetables, and dairy products to boost your vitamin B levels and, in turn, your brain’s health.
- Consume food rich in iron- Consuming iron-rich food is very important for the healthy functioning of the brain. Iron deficiency may result in poor production of the neurotransmitter, it may also result in poor cell signaling, and affects the retention power of the brain. It is important that you eat iron-rich food such as beans, spinach, cocoa, sesame, coriander, nuts legumes etc.
- Challenge your brain- A very good way to keep the brain active and healthy is by involving the brain in various activities like a learning new language. Indulging in activities that use brain power will keep your brain healthy. Did you know that learning new things gives the grey matter in your brain a boost and it helps to build neural pathways in the brain?
- Exercise your brain- As already covered in this article, physical exercise helps to boost brain power. At the same time, you must do something to exercise your brain. Watch game shows that have question and answers or quizzes. All these put your brain to work and maintains a healthy brain.
There are few organs in the human body more important than the brain. Following these tips will keep your brain healthy and make sure that it works properly in the long run.