Drugs are a type of substance that can disrupt the normal functioning of the body and can have a long term psychological effect.
Let us first discuss the top 3 categories of drugs and then we will discuss how they harm the body.
- Depressants - These drugs directly affect the functioning of the central nervous system, slowing down the process of thought exchange. Hence, a person feels relaxed after taking a depressant in small doses. However, it is dangerous to take depressants when you are driving or working with heavy machines. Alcohol is an example of depressant.
- Hallucinogens - These drugs induce emotional and psychological euphoria and takes the person to a virtual world where he/she may start to experience things which are not there. Cannabis is an example of hallucinogen.
- Stimulants - These too directly impact the central nervous system but works opposite to what the depressants do. It fastens the thought process and increases the messaging to and from the brain. Caffeine is an example of stimulant.
Now that we have learnt about the types of drugs available in the market, let us learn about their side effects when they are taken in large quantities.
Effects of Drug Abuse
Taking any form of drug in high doses affects your ability to think and react meaning you lose confidence and ultimately it leads to serious brain damage.
Alcohol - Some of the potent are:
- Cancer of the liver.
- High blood pressure.
- Irregular heart rhythm.
- Slurred speech.
Marijuana - Here are some of the common :
- Cottonmouth or dry mouth where the person loses the ability to produce saliva.
- Loss of memory.
- Lack of motivation.
- Psychological damage.
- Lung problems.
Caffeine - Although caffeine when taken in small to moderate quantities do not pose any health risk but when you overdo the dose then it might lead to some serious disorders. Here are the top :
- High blood pressure.
- Increased mortality.
- Give rise to allergies.
- Increased risk of heart attacks.
- Indigestion and Insomnia.
- Increased risk of gout attacks.
- Inhibits the production of collagen.
- Leads to anxiety and depression.
Drugs can have a bad impact on your health if taken in large quantities more than the recommended doses. Do not become dependant on any of the drugs discussed above. Remember, it often starts with enjoyment and later it becomes a nightmare so be aware and make the other aware.