Working on the Internet without VPN may be harmful to your hardware and privacy. Hackers can intercept data you are sending and receiving, infect your device with malware and viruses and steal your personal data.
You also should understand what VPN software will do well for you. As such, we will now take a look at the approaches that will define what can provide you with better protection. Learning all the ins and outs is crucial after all.
What you need to know
Good VPN software has got some certain features. It is being sold for the considerable price, it is user-friendly and easy to setup and use, it provides good speed and stability for the connections and its support service is professional, as there are many glitches and questions customers come with.
• First of all, you should avoid programs that participate in a so-called 14 eyes program. It means they have to pass all logs and information about users to governmental structures. You can find what countries are involved and search for the services that based in those countries.
• The second thing you should pay attention to is the possibility to support OpenVPN. This is a secure protocol; however, some programs do not provide users with the choice.
• Make sure that the VPN program offers unlimited traffic and bandwidth. You will pay for the service anyway and it will be devastating to know that you are limited and need to watch the traffic.
• Another useful criterion is logging policy. Try to choose the company with no logging at all. It can ease troubleshooting but may be harmful to your privacy.
• You will surely need an application that will work with different operating systems and devices. Mostly, companies nowadays have managed to create cross-platform applications, but some of them still work only with Windows. The connection of all your devices must be equal, so try to choose a program which provides such service.
• Watch for the DNS servers. It is more considerable to rely on the company which has its own DNS and does not store them in any 3-rd party company. Companies that store servers in other companies surely expose the customers’ personal information to danger.
• Make sure that the company does not block the P2P protocol. Surely, you may not use torrenting, but such companies are not reliable and fully professional.
• Of course, you may choose a company by mistake. That’s why it is important to look at its refund and pricing policy. Many companies allow users some trial periods and are ready to return the money within a certain time, usually 1 month.
• And the last, but still important advice. Pay attention to customers’ reviews. You can easily find specialized forums on the Internet and guess if the chosen VPN service is as good as it claims to be.
With these steps, you will be able to choose the best VPN provider for you. At least, you will be protected from strange choices and an unwanted risk that may follow after them.