Lexus teases 2014 Lexus GS 450h Hybrid
Toyota luxury brand Lexus has offered up details about its upcoming 2014 GS 450h hybrid. It sports 338 total system horsepower; gets respectable EPA fuel economy ratings for a luxury hybrid of 29 mpg city, 34 mpg highway and 31 mpg combined and has some new technology comforts and other features.
Lexus said the GS 450h has a 35 percent improvement in fuel economy over the previous model. Its hybrid system under the hood teams
the output of an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 engine with a water-cooled permanent magnet electric motor through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission. Independently or in parallel as needed, the gas engine and electric motor drive the rear wheels. The high performance nickel-metal hydride battery pack uses a stacked design to improve trunk space, which is greater than even the gas-only models of the previous generation GS.
Performance specifications indicate 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5.6 seconds and a top speed of 131 miles per hour. The hybrid offers up five driving modes which impact overall road handling. These include a mix of fuel economy and more sports oriented choices, depending upon what experience you want to have while driving.
Regenerative braking, which returns energy to the battery when you slow down the hybrid, has been updated, contributing to what’s noted to be “further improvements over the previous generation in fuel efficiency. ”
As for what’s new in terms of features and the like, Lexus pointed out the following in a news release:
- Siri Eyes Free technology licensed from Apple; compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models
- Flush-mounted sensors for Intuitive Parking Assist
- Full-color display added to Head-Up Display
- Climate Concierge feature now included with optional heated/ventilated seats.
- Transmission Sport mode now provides eight steps, rather than six, and also adds a kickdown switch
- Available Blind Spot Monitor adds Rear Cross Traffic Alert and power-folding mirrors
- Luxury Package changes: LED foglamps, Liquid Graphite finish for 18-inch wheels, and the radio station and song title are added to the rear armrest control panel display
- Optional power trunk opener
- Lexus Night View system discontinued
Lexus did not mention specific pricing or availability for the GS 450h as of yet.