Apple rolls out iOS 5
iOS 5 - the latest iteration of Apple’s popular mobile operating system - is now available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
The 700 megabyte (approximate estimate) upgrade can be downloaded simply by plugging in your mobile device to a PC or Mac with iTunes 10.5.
But say goodbye to that cable, because post-iOS 5 updates will allow users to upgrade the OS wirelessly.
As TG Daily previously reported, iOS 5 boasts 200 new features, including easy access to iCloud; iMessage, which allows you to send texts, photos and videos between all iOS devices; Newsstand, a new way to purchase/organize newspaper/magazine subscriptions; and an all-in-one Notification Center.
Additional features include:
- Built-in Twitter integration - Sign in once and tweet directly from all Twitter-enabled apps, such as Photos, Camera, Safari, YouTube and Maps with a single tap.
- Reminders - Manage tasks, create and group related tasks together; and set time or location-based reminder alerts, priorities and due dates.
- Upgraded camera and photo capabilities - Offers instant access to the camera right from the lock screen. You can use the volume-up button to quickly snap a photo, while optional grid lines help line up shots and a simple tap locks focus and exposure on one subject.
- Game Center - Add photos to your profile and purchase new games from within the app.
- Mail enhancements - Compose messages using draggable addresses as well as a new formatting bar with bold, italics, underline and indention controls.
- AirPlayMirroring - Wirelessly display everything you do on your iPad 2 right on your HDTV through Apple TV.