Google's indigenously designed Nexus 7 tablet is all the rage for devs - much like Mountain View's Android OS which allows the community to code a never-ending stream of hacks, mods and tweaks.
Recently, an XDA dev known as "mskip" created a digital tool kit that will make it even easier for enthusiasts to tweak their Nexus 7 tablets.
The utility offers a one-click root tool, along with a number of other functions, including:
* Install/uninstall google Nexus 7 drivers.
* Backup/restore tablet using ADB.
* Lock/unlock bootloader.
* Backup stock recovery ad flash custom recovery.
* Boot to custom recovery without permanently flashing it.
* Download and flash factory stock Google Nexus ROM.
* Boot or flash .img files.
* Set permissions on tablet.
* View and monitor LogCat.
As Ian Stacy of XDA Devs points out, the all-in-one toolkit also adds the capability to apply upcoming mods to the tablet, although there are none available as of yet. Interested? You can check out the release thread and download the utility here.
However, if you are interested in just simply swapping kernels, you may want to check out the specially modded Elite Kernel for the Nexus 7. As TG Daily previously reported, Elite Kernel is based on the Motley kernel developed by an XDA member known as " _motley," and later modded into the Elite version by "clemsyn," another XDA member.
The revamped kernel features a number of different tweaks and modifications to squeeze even more performance out of the Nexus 7 tablet hardware, such as:
* The implementation of JRCU.
* Lowest backlight setting set to 5 (save battery and better reading at night).
* Core voltage increased from 1200 to 1250mv on the high side to hit 1.7 frequency and 600 GPU.
* Increased CPU voltage to 1240mv for 1.7 frequency but allows decreased 750mv in low side.
* Increased GPU clock to 600 and pixclock increased.
* DVFS core table completely changed to allow max clock of host1x and pll_c.
* Enable Thermal_Sys to throttle at 68.
Oddly, not all Nexus 7 tablets out there will be able to handle the optimized tweaks offered in the Elite kernel. However, if your tablet is up to the task, you will likely see performance increase significantly, especially with resource intensive games and applications.