Samsung targets the iPhone with Galaxy S III
Samsung has debuted its long-awaited Galaxy S III, a slick smartphone loaded with some truly sweet and stellar specs that is sure to make even the most diehard Apple iPhone fanboi slightly envious.
The handset is powered by Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and boasts a 4.8 inch HD Super AMOLED display (1280 x 720 pixels), an 8MP rear camera, 1.9MP front camera and Wi-Fi Channel Bonding (doubles Wi-Fi bandwidth).
The Galaxy S III also introduces what Samsung calls "natural interaction," a featyure designed to enhance the normally mundane interaction experience between the device and user.
Essentially, the smartphone is capable of detecting individual faces, voices and motions - allowing the handset to offer a truly personalized experience by recognizing how you are using the device.
The smartphone also features "S Voice," an advanced natural language user interface. Like Apple’s Siri, it is programmed to listen and respond to commands associated with various tasks, such as search, volume control, sending text messages, playing MP3s, organizing schedules, automatically launching the camera and capturing photos.
The Samsung GALAXY S III will be available at the end of May in Europe before rolling out to other markets globally. Prices will be announced at a later date.
Additional specs include:
- Recording & Playback - Full HD (1080p).
- S Beam - Fast file transfer between Galaxy III phones.
- Buddy photo share - Allows photos to be easily and simultaneously shared \directly from the camera or photo gallery.
- AllShare Cast - Users can wirelessly connect the Galaxy S III to their television to immediately transfer smartphone content onto a larger display, or share between devices.
- Group Cast - Shares handset screen among multiple friends on the same Wi-Fi network. You can also make comments and draw changes at the same time with your co-workers, witnessing real-time sharing on your individual device.
- Pop up play - Plays a video anywhere on your screen while simultaneously running other tasks, eliminating the need to close and restart videos when checking new emails or surfing the Web.
- Zero-lag shutter speed and Burst Shot function - Capture moving objects (up to 20 continuous shots) easily without delay.
- HD video - Improved backside illumination further helps to eliminate blur in photos that result from shaking, even under low lights. Mobile payment -
- Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.
- Network - 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz3G (HSPA+ 21Mbps): 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz / 4G (Dependent on market).
- Video Codec - MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8, Sorenson Spark.