Apple iOS 4 goes live
Apple has released the latest iteration of its mobile operating system for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
iOS 4 boasts over 100 new features, including long-awaited support for true multitasking (iPhone 3GS/4) and folders.
The OS update file comprises approximately 579MB and is available via iTunes.
Additional features include:
- Mail - View messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads and open attachments in third-party apps.
- Spell checker - Integrated spell checker works in Mail, Notes and other apps.
- Wireless keyboard support - Pair a keyboard based on Bluetooth wireless technology with your iPhone.
- Playlists - Create custom playlists.
- 5x digital zoom and tap to focus video.
- Faces and places in photos.
It should be noted that Apple has also introduced its iBooks app (version 1.1) for iPhones and iPods running iOS 4, which allows users to open/read PDF documents and add them to a bookshelf.
Other notable functions include:
- Advanced bookmarks - In addition to highlighting a word or passage, you can add notes or bookmark an entire page with the new page ribbon.
- Automatic Syncing - Keep bookmarks, notes and current page wirelessly in sync between your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- New appearance and font - See book pages in Georgia font and read books on white or sepia colored pages.
- Formatting - Choose left or fully justified text layout from settings and read pages with greater ease by increasing to even larger font sizes.