The iPhone 4 is one tricked out device. But can a slick display, faster processor and longer battery life help keep Android-powered smartphones at bay?
Ted Pollak, a senior analyst at Jon Peddie Research, told TG Daily that the iPhone's new 3.5 inch Retina display - which boasts 960 x 640 pixels - will have a definite effect on competing Android smartphones.
"Here at Jon Peddie Research the general consensus with almost any visual computing product is the more pixels the better. As applications increase in complexity, such as games and augmented reality, the need to support massive information density is a requirement," explained Pollak.
"I think the screen resolution the iPhone 4 offers is fantastic and will affect some consumers decision process. [Still], there is much more to consider for consumers such as the network quality, pricing environment, and other phone features. [But], focusing solely on the display, Apple has definitely upped the ante and the competition will have to react."
However, Rob Enderle, principal analyst of the Enderle Group, opined that Apple's sleek new phone could lag behind Android devices if Club Cupertino continued to limit carrier access solely to AT&T.
"The iPhone's greatest weakness is AT&T and unless they can do something about that Android will likely catch up," said Enderle.
Apple 4 specs include:
- A4 processor.
- Dual microphones (noise cancellation).
- Connectivity details - quad band HSDPA/HSUPA 7.2/5.8 up. 802.11 n WiF, GPS, 3G.
- Connectivity speeds - (theoretical) Maximum of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8 Mbps up.
- Reception - Uses stainless steel border as an antenna system for BT, WiFi and GPS, other half leveraged for UMTS/GSM.
- Battery - Seven hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi, six hours on 3G, 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback.
- Two cameras (front and back) - 5 megapixel, backside illuminated sensor, 5x digital zoom, tap to focus and back camera with LED flash.
- HD video recording - 720p video at 30 frames per second (FPS).
- Facetime video calling.
- Three-axis gyroscope - for more "precise movement." Note: Gyroscope and accelerometer facilitate six-axis motion sensing.
- Micro-SIM tray.
- Operating system: iOS 4.
- Pricing and availability: Black/white - $199 16GB, $299 for 32 GB.
- Availability: June 24.