Apple has previewed its long-awaited iPhone OS 4 software and released a beta version to iPhone Developer Program members.
The iPhone OS 4 beta boasts an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,500 new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and over 100 new features that will be available to iPhone and iPod touch users this summer.
Key features include:
- True multitasking for third party apps.
- Folders to better organize and access apps, including iTunes directories.
- Improved Mail with a unified inbox, fast inbox switching and threaded messages.
- Enhanced Enterprise support with improved data protection, mobile device management and wireless app distribution.
- iAd mobile advertising platform - displays full-screen video and interactive ad content without leaving the app.
Finally, the iPhone OS 4 beta release offers developers a preview of Game Center, which will allow iPhone/iPod Touch owners to play a game, start a multiplayer game through matchmaking and track achievements or scores on a leader board.
"Apps created with GameKit APIs will work with Game Center, [our] new social gaming network available to iPhone and iPod touch users later this year," Apple confirmed in an official statement.