A British engineer has designed a concept car capable of transforming itself into an airplane, helicopter or motorboat.
Dubbed the Halo Interceptor, the futuristic vehicle was created by Philip Pauley, who previously devised a sophisticated modular system that allows trees to be planted virtually anywhere, including on skyscraper roofs and cruise liners.
The Halo Interceptor has already won numerous accolades, and was touted as being "sexy enough on its own just being a car" by 100 Cute, while Top Speed described the Halo as a vehicle "straight out of a sci-fi movie."
However, according to Pauley, the Interceptor should not be thought of as a flying car, but rather a "road legal airplane, helicopter and motor cruiser."
"[It] comprises a car component - the 'Interceptor' - and three connecting housings, Halo 120°, Halo 46° and Halo 22°," he explained.
"Each housing facilitates a unique and unparalleled transportation experience going far beyond anything currently on the market."
Additional specs include:
- Length - 4.35m
- Height - 1.2m
- Weight - 2.1m
- Maximum speed: 311mph
- Range: 700 miles
- 0-62: 2.3sec
- Length: 9.5 m
- Wingspan: 14.5m
- Height: 5.22 m
- Wing area: 117.45 m2
- Airfoil: NACA 64-210.68 root, NACA 64-209.80 tip
- Empty weight: 47,200 lb, loaded weight: 82,800 lb,
- Max takeoff weight: 100,000 lb
- Powerplant: 2× Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-100 turbofans
- Dry thrust: 17,900 lbf (79.6 kN) each
- Thrust with afterburner: 25,100 lbf (112 kN) each
- Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0186
- Drag area: 9.36 ft2 (0.87 m2) Aspect ratio: 1.79
- Maximum speed: Mach 2
- Combat radius: 1,330 mi
- Ferry range: 4,200 mi
- Service ceiling: 66,000 ft
- Rate of climb: 25,890 ft/min
- Wing loading - Spread: 126.0 lb/ft2, swept: 158 lb/ft2
- Thrust/weight: 0.61
- Lift-to-drag ratio: 15
- Crew: 2 pilots and 2 passengers
- Length: 10.1 m
- Rotor diameter: 5.5 m
- Height: 2.7 m
- Empty weight: 5,000 lb
- Max takeoff weight: 9,500 lb
- Maximum speed: 185 knots
- Range: 450 nmi Service ceiling: 15,000 ft
- Length overall - 11.15m
- Length hull - 9.9m
- Height - 3m
- Maximum speed: 55-63 knots
- Range: 1200 nautical miles
- Cruising Speed: 38 knots