Kingston ships USB 3.0 Flash drive
Kingston has shipped its first USB 3.0 Flash drive, which boasts an impressive read speed of 80MB/sec and a write rate of 60MB/sec.
A Kingston spokesperson at IDF 2010 told TG Daily that internal benchmarks had clocked the transfer of a one hour 44 minute movie (3.9GB) at just one minute and 13 seconds.
Similarly, a two hour 23 minute DVD (4.4GB) was copied to the drive in one minute and 23 seconds.
To ensure backwards compatibility, Kingston is packaging the drive with a Y cable, which certain USB 2.0 ports require to properly initialize USB 3.0 hardware.
"USB 3.0 is the next major milestone in Flash memory for USB products and we wanted to have a [product] in the marketplace for early adopters," the spokesperson explained.
"Now, the DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 is our first USB 3.0 Flash drive. We designed it for enthusiasts who prefer to embrace new technology before it goes mainstream."
Additional specs include:
- Capacities - 16GB, 32GB, 64GB.
- Requirements - System with USB 3.0 port.
- Backwards compatible - with USB 2.0
- USB 2.0 speeds - approximately 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write.
- Dimensions - 2.90" x 0.87" x 0.63" (73.70 mm x 22.20 mm x 16.10 mm).
- Operating Temperature - 32° to 140°F (0° to 60°C).
- Storage Temperature - -4° to 185°F (-20° to 85°C).
- OS compatibility - Windows XP, Vista and 7.