Lenovo adds AMD processors to ThinkPad lineup
Lenovo has refreshed its ThinkPad lineup with an ultraportable laptop that starts at $450.
The ThinkPad X100e features an 11.6 inch high definition display, full-size keyboard, touchpad/trackpoint, ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics, 802.11n WiFi, webcam, Bluetooth/3G and a 2-5 hour battery life.
In addition, the X100e laptop can be equipped with either an AMD Athlon Neo single/dual core processor or a Turion dual core chip.
Leslie Sobon, VP of product marketing at AMD, explained that the X100e "defined" what a commercial ultrathin laptop should be and "set the bar" for future products based on the company's Vision Pro Technology.
"The X100e delivers the visual experience necessary to leverage most of today's collaboration tools, strong battery life and unbeatable value, all in a sleek, durable ultrathin laptop," said Sobon.
Meanwhile, Lenovo also announced a new ThinkPad known as the "Edge" - which is available in 13, 14 and 15 inch models designed specifically for the small to medium sized business (SMB).
According to Lenovo, the $549 13-inch Edge is "the first" ThinkPad laptop to offer AMD dual core technology with a Turion or Athlon Neo processor.
Finally, Lenovo introduced four new business-oriented ThinkPad models: the T410s ($1,400), T410 ($1,000) and T510 ($1,000) laptops and W510 mobile workstation ($1,600).
The four models - which are based on upcoming Intel Core processors - boast faster multi-tasking performance, multitouch screen options, a 22 hour battery life (select models) and a single wireless broadband solution via the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 module.
Additional X100e and Edge specs include:
- Processor - AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 / AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics.
- OS - Windows XP Home, Windows 7 Home Basic (32 bit), Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit), Windows 7 Pro (32 bit), Windows XP Pro (32 bit), DOS (minimum support).
- Display/Resolution - 11.6 inch HD (1366x768) LED backlight 200 nit.
- Memory - 4 GB maximum (2 SD-DIMM slots).
- Storage - 160 GB/250GB/320 GB 25 inch HD 5400 RPM.
- Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics.
- Sound - Stereo speakers, built-in mic.
- Integrated comms - Realtek 802.11n, optional Bluetooth, GB Ethernet, optional WWAN Gobi card.
- Ports and slots - 3 USB (1 x powered), VGA port, 4-in-1 card reader slot, GB Ethernet port HD audio, combo headphone/mic-in.
- Camera - low-light unit.
- Weight - 1.36 kg (sub 3 pounds) with 3-cell battery and 1.50 kg (3.3 pounds) with 6-cell battery.
- Dimensions - Starts at 282mm x 189mm x 15-29.5 mm.
- Keyboard - 6 row, IOS full size, spill resistant, new design, UltraNav TrackPoint and multigesture touchpad.
- Battery Life - 2 hours with 3-cell 2.2Ah battery, up to 5 hours with 6-cell 2.6 Ah battery.
- Processor (AMD) - Turion Neo X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor, Athlon Neo X2 Dual-Core Processor (M780G, RS780/SB710).
- Processor (Intel) - ULV SU4100, SU7300, GS45.
- OS - Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Windows 7 Professional (64-bit).
- Display/Resolution - 13.3 inch widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) high definition, (1366x758) LED backlight.
- Memory - 4 GB maximum (2x2 GB) DDR2 667 MHz.
- Storage - 250 GB/320 GB/500 GB HDD 5400 RPM, 320 GB HHD 7200 RPM.
- Audio - HD Audio, 2 x 2 watts stereo speakers, built-in mono microphone.
- Integrated comms - Realtek 802.11 bgn, Intel 802.11 bgn and Intel 802.11n + WiMax (2 x 2).
- Optional WWAN - Qualcomm Gobi 2000 with Global Positioning System.
- Ports and Slots - 3 USB 2.0 (1 x powered), VGA out, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, Mic jack/Speaker jack, 5-in-1 card reader (MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro and xD).
- Camera - low-light sensitive unit.
- Weight - 3.6 pounds with a 4-cell battery.
- Dimensions - 332 mm x 228 mm x 17-31.3 mm with a 4-cell battery.
- Keyboard - New layout and spill resistant (6 row).
- Navigation - UltraNav (TrackPoint and 2-button multi-gesture touchpad).
- Colors - Midnight Black – Smooth, Midnight Black – Gloss, Heatwaver Red – Gloss.
- Battery Life - 3.7 hours with 4-cell, 5.9 hours with 6-cell (AMD), 5.9 hours with 4-cell, 8.9 hours with 6-cell (Intel).