EA says 99.8% of gamers don’t care about Spore DRM

  • Chicago (IL) - EA Games CEO John Riccitiello, speaking in a Q&A session at the Dow Jones/Nielsen Media and Money Conference, noted that 99.8% of gamers really don’t care about DRM.  

    According to Riccitiello, the controversy over the DRM attached to its most recent release, Spore, was blown out of proportion. “We implemented a form of DRM and it's something that 99.8% of users wouldn't notice. But for the other 0.2%, it became an issue and a number of them launched a cabal online to protest against it.”

    Spore’s Digital Rights Management (DRM), known as SecuROM, allowed users to activate the game only three times. EA later relaxed this number to five, but the activation limitations were only one of the issues that users had with SecuROM.

    Another activity implemented by SecuROM was the installation of a service in Windows that would allow it to shut down emulation software. While this was intended to crack down on programs that would allow disc-copying, such as Alcohol 120% or Nero, there are may be multitude of legal uses for disc emulation - and those programs are also been affected.

    Spore gamers reacted to the DRM by online campaigns such as giving the game 1-star reviews on Amazon.com. Amazon actually bowed to pressure from EA and reset the overall review rating. However, there are currently 374 1-star reviews for Spore on its site.  

Related Stories

5 Well-known Inventory Management Mistakes To Avoid

When Will Commerce Appreciate Hemp Plastics?

What is Identity and Access Management (IAM)?