Team Ouya has confirmed that its long-awaited Android-powered console will launch in the United States, Canada and the U.K. on June 4, 2013, for a cool $100.
According to Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman, the system "upends" the current console model by being open to any game developer who wants to create and publish games for the TV.
"For gamers, this means they can now download any game they choose, and try it for free - no more discs to buy and no more risk of paying for games you don't love," she explained.
"Featuring vivid HD graphics, immersive sound, and a gamer's controller, Ouya delivers a unique platform for enjoying games of every genre, from racing to shooter, action-adventure to RPG, and platformer to puzzle."
Indeed, says Uhrman, more than 8,000 software engineers worldwide are currently developing games, including those from Square Enix, Double Fine Productions, Tripwire Interactive, Vlambeer, Phil Fish's Polytron Corporation and Kim Swift's Airtight Games.
"We're giving early backers the first look at the final OUYA console and controller, and we look forward to their continued input as we gear up for the official launch at retail on June 4," she added.
The current Ouya system includes:
- Console - Designed by Yves Behar, OUYA features a sleek, compact cube design that plugs into the TV.
- Controller - A gamer-envisioned and refined, intuitive wireless controller with fast, responsive buttons, triggers that FEEL like triggers, laser-precise analog sticks, a cross-style D-Pad, and even a touchpad.
- Processor - An on-board Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset delivers fast performance and amazing graphics for an immersive game experience in 1080p HD.
- Additional specs - 8 GB internal flash memory, 1 GB RAM, HDMI (1080p), Nvidia ULP GeForce GPU, USB 2, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth LE 4.0 and Ethernet port.
- Games and apps - Titles will be added daily to Ouya into the June launch and beyond. All games on OUYA will be downloadable and free-to-try. Users can also access their favorite steaming video and music apps including content directly from Twitch.tv, Flixster, Plex, XBMC, Crunchyroll, iHeartRadio and various third-party platforms.
As noted above, Ouya is now shipping to early backers as part of a preview program. Starting June 4, the console will be available for purchase in the United States, Canada, and the UK through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, GAME, GameStop, Target, and the store on OUYA.tv for $99.99. Extra controllers will retail for $49.99.