If you own an Xbox 360, take it online today and you'll be prompted for the Fall 2010 Dashboard update, which adds a whole bunch of new features, a refreshed interface, and full support for the next Kinect motion controls. It's the Kinect support that is the main backbone of the new dashboard, but it's also incrementally improving a lot of Xbox Live features.
Here's a list of some of what the new update will bring:
- Improved Xbox Live voice chat fidelity
- New interface, including new fonts and graphics
- Updated Avatars that look more human-like
- "Search" feature improved in Netflix app
- Improvements to the on-screen keyboard
- Zune Music/Movie marketplace connectivity
- New ESPN app for live streaming sports content
Anyone who wants to play a Kinect game will have to download the update, which should be included on-disc with every Kinect title. So non-connected users will still be able to play their Kinect stuff without any problems.
Additionally, if your Xbox 360 is connected, this is a mandatory update. You will not be able to connect to Xbox Live until you grab this latest dashboard update. It should take less than 10 minutes to download and install.