20th Century Fox has released a new promotional clip for Ridley Scott’s sci-fi thriller Prometheus.
It's odd to see this kind of materia after a film has already left the theaters, but the Blu-ray release is coming up soon, so perhaps this is part of that promotion, though it's not mentioned in the clip title, which would be typical.
The new video is mostly incomprehensible gobbledygook. It looks neat, but I'm guessing it's meaningless. If it does mean something I'm sure some enterprising internetters will figure it out soon. Otherwise it's just a brief look at some in-character footage of Captain Janek, played by Idris Elba, seemingly undergoing some kind of pre-flight test.
I'm not sure how much demand there will be for the Blu-ray considering how disapointingly bad the film turned out, but if you are interested, here's a list of the special features you can expect to see therein, as listed in the press material for the Blu-ray combo box:
- The 2D film
- Cut scenes or alternative (15 mins)
- Audio commentary by director (120 mins)
The private records of Peter Weyland, four viral videos (18 mins):
- The offer of Elizabeth Shaw
- Happy Birthday David
- Prometheus Transmission (extended version)
- The conference Weyland in 2023 (long version)
Outside the disk: Second Screen App: App iPad Control Blu-ray Remote
- The archives of Peter Weyland (60 mins):
- First and final draft of the script (text)
- Sketches of Ridley Scott (photo gallery)
- The Art of Prometheus (photo gallery)
- Pre-visualization (30 mins)
- Tests of Noomi Rapace (15 mins)
- The costume design (photo gallery)
- Tests “look” of the cast (10 mins)
- Graphic Video Dashboard
- Photographs of the team
- Video of the private pilot
Production and post-release:
- Marketing Gallery
- The 3D film
The angry gods: how to make the Prometheus of Ridley Scott, 9 videos (120 mins):
- At the Conquest of Paradise (scenario)
- The engineering upside down (direction & design)
- The manifest human (characters & costumes)
- A nest of demons (creature design)
- A world without green spaces (Pinewood)
- Gains of chance (stunts & action)
- The beginning and end (Iceland)
- The sky on fire (visual effects)
- Prometheus without limits (post-production and theatrical release)
Units of improvement (30 mins):
- The archives of Peter Weyland (60 mins)
The clip above is likely one of the four 'viral' videos listed in the special features, along with the one that was released before the film hit theaters.
The Prometheus Blu-ray combo pack arrives on retail shelves October 11th, 2012. It can be pre-ordered over on Amazon.