E.T. Anniversary Edition detailed
Universal Studios has released a trailer for the upcoming release of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition, which places the film on Blu-ray for the first time.
The film has never been seen in such high resolution, unless it was in the theater upon initial release in 1982. That year, E.T. was the number one film, and - if you adjust for inflation - still remains the #4 most successful theatrical release in US history.
It won numerous awards and great critical acclaim, launching the careers of several whose names we now take as a given part of Hollywood, like Drew Barrymore who co-starred in the film as a child. All that in addition to becoming part of the greater zeitgeist, spawning a host of cultural memes, and altering the way we think about aliens and extraterrestrial life as a culture.
"When E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial premiered in 1982, it captured the imaginations of people young, old and everyone in between in a way that was unparalleled in modern movie history," said Universal exec Craig Kornblau.
"A global cultural phenomenon—and the biggest box-office blockbuster of its day—E.T. brought out the child in all of us. We are thrilled audiences will now be able to experience the film in the astounding quality of Blu-ray."
Universal accompanied the announcement with this gigantic list of special features:
- The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
- A Look Back: A special insider's look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Special Olympics TV spot
- Designs, Photographs and Marketing
- E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
- Spaceship Designs by Ralph McQuarrie
- Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production Photographs
- Marketing E.T.
- UltraViolet: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: The Blu-ray Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPod touch, Android or online retail partners.
- pocket BLU App: The popular free pocket BLU app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad, Android tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices' larger screens and high resolution displays.
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device's intuitive keyboard.
- BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition combo pack hits the shelves in October 2012. The pre-order notification is available now on Amazon.