Playstation believed to have highest brand loyalty for new consoles
New York (NY) - According to a new survey done by ABI Research, people who currently own a PS2, and are interested in purchasing a next-gen console, show more loyalty to the Playstation brand than owners of Nintendo or Microsoft consoles do for their respective new video game platform.
ABI conducted a survey of 1725 consumers, consisting of both gamers and non-gamers. Among them, 18% said they were "likely" to buy either a PS3, Xbox 360, or Wii console in the coming year. When just the active gamers are looked at, the number is 28%. Not surprisingly, the biggest interest comes from gamers who own one of the previous generation consoles.
42% of PS2 owners said they plan to hop onto the next-generation train in the next 12 months, with 55% of Xbox owners showing interest in the new products, as well as 54% of Gamecube owners.
Despite the overall lack in next-gen interest from PS2 owners, this is the group most commited to their respective console manufacturer. 60% of those PS2 owners looking to buy a next-gen console are likely to buy a PS3. The other 40% are looking at either the Wii or Xbox 360. However, the loyalty rate is even lower for Xbox and Nintendo.
According to the survey, 45% of Xbox owners who want to buy a next-gen console actually have their sights primarily on the Xbox 360. It's about the same for Gamecube owners, with 46% loyalty to the Wii from the group surveyed.
"We believe that Sony's much larger installed base combined with higher loyalty among current generation owners could translate into significant gains for them if they can, in fact, convert these prospective owners," said ABI research director Michael Wolf.
Wolf also projects that non-traditional gamers will also be an integral part of the next generation era of consoles, but it may take a while to generate interest among that crowd. "While we think that the market of console owners will likely expand beyond its current bases, we believe that the market for the next 1 to 2 years will be driven by current console owners upgrading to the new generation," he said.